[pve-devel] Default cache mode for VM hard drives

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Tue Nov 18 19:36:25 CET 2014

Hi to all

Only as comment:

1) While that the VM have write cache configured as none (that means write cache in VM guest), don't matter if the storage is DRBD, local, CEPH or Gluster, always the VM will have the cache of write in RAM, and obviously these data will not be in the disk or in the RAID controller of the storage selected.

2) The formula unique that i know for get that the data always are in the RAID controller or in the dishes of disks is with the combination of:
- OS of the guest with write cache disabled or with disk_barrires enabled.
- QEMU configured for the VM with directsync or writethrough.

3) About of swap disk in Linux, i guess that with directsync or writethrough will be sufficient, but i am not sure.

@Dietmar:
I believe that Mr. Stanislav say us that as a cache of write is in the RAM, and these data don't go to the hard disks or to the RAID controller, then these data aren't replicated with DRBD, and as a negative effect, if the host crashes or breaks down, there will be an irretrievable loss of data in the DRBD storage.

Best regards
Cesar Peschiera