[pve-devel] Default cache mode for VM hard drives

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Sat Nov 22 00:38:32 CET 2014

I guess that i should talk more clear:

The recommendation of use VMs with "noop" as i/o scheduler (noop = no
optimized), is for a storage that have his own filesystem that is in
optimized mode. This is due to that the VM don't know that in the upper
layers exist another layer of storage with a filesystem that are working in
a optimized mode.

Working with this mode, we  get these advantages:

1) As the processor of the VM not need solve the pending tasks of reads and
writes of block of disks, then we get lower consumption of processor.

2) There will be no contradictions between the i/o schedulers nor "LOSS OF
DATA", because the i/o scheduler of the VM not know that in the upper layers
exists another I/O scheduler that is performing his work of optimization
correctly, and this last one, must also handle other requests of writes and
reads of block of disk that the VM does not know, and finally as the VM with
his own i/o scheduler is demanding a time limit for reads and writes of
blocks of disk, that if it are not satisfied, will occur a series of
unfortunate events:

A) Lose of information in writes of blocks of disk .... :-(
B) Lose of information in reads of blocks of disk .... :-(

In both cases, is very likely that the VM to crash.

Best regards
Cesar