[pve-devel] backup

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 04:59:38 CEST 2014

On 20 October 2014 14:15, Cesar Peschiera <brain at click.com.py> wrote:

> Hi Lindsay
>
> Maybe you'd better have a PVE on a PC as Backup Server instead of a NAS.
> Why i believe that it will be better?
> For four reasons:
> 1) You will can manually restore the backups that were completed
> successfully on this same PC that also is running PVE and test it for be
> sure that your files of backups are in perfect status for his restauration.
> 2)  You will not need to use your real servers doing such tests, and you
> will avoid performance degradation.
> 3) If a hardware component is decomposed, you only will need change the
> part that is decomposed.
> 4) If a PVE real server decomposes, and you don't have "HA" enabled, your
> PC of backup will can help you starting the VMs that are necessary in this
> same computer.

Thats an interesting thought Cesar, I'll look into that. Would be very
useful to have a test server.

OTOH, the attraction of a NAS is the built in  features - web gui, sync to
external disk, notification of results via email etc. With a PVE server I'd
have to script and test it all myself.

> By other hand, for a company, i will be testing this scenery:
>
> 2 PC of Backup
> -----------------
> - The two PC of Backups will have the same configuration
> - Mainboard Asus "P8H77 m pro" (workstation)
> - 16 GB RAM
> - OS = PVE (from his ISO installer)
> - NFS service for use in the Backups
> - 1 NIC Intel dual port 10 Gb/s with bonding "active-backup" (for use
> exclusive of the backups) connected to the LAN of the backups
> - 2 NICs Intel single port with bonding "LACP" connected to the LAN
> company (for his management)

Why two bonded nics for the management connection?

thanks,

--
Lindsay