[pve-devel] lxc 1.1 : qcow2 support ?

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sun Apr 26 19:14:12 CEST 2015

> >>not sure if we should use that?
> One advantage, It's possible to do live migration with qcow2 on top of nfs.
> (Note that this need to be tested with nbd, i'm not sure it's work fine with
> cache flush,...)

I just notice that it is not even possible to make s snapshot with qemu-nbd.
That
makes using qcow2 files quite useless ...

> >>What other possibilities do we have to create snapshots on normal file
> >>systems (for example nfs).
>
> with nfs, the only way is that the storage support snapshot api (like netapp
> for example)
>
> >>Maybe using a loop mounted image with btrfs?
> It should work. But with btrfs maybe it is better to use sub volume ?
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Manpage/btrfs-subvolume

Sure, if the file system is local. But what if we use NFS?

My current thinking is that we should only use native storage feature, i.e.
simply no snapshots for NFS.

For btrfs, zfs, lvm (thin), sheepdog, ceph, drbd we can use native snapshots.
Those storage types also provides disk quotas.

We can use a loop mount to provide disk quota for NFS, ext3, ext4, xfs.

What do you think?