[pve-devel] Blacklisting HP hardware watchdog timer module ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Dec 3 16:04:09 CET 2015

>>AFAIK the suggested way is to add an option line to
>>
>>/lib/modprobe.d/aliases.conf
>>
>>or some other modprobe config file. For example I use:
>>
>>options softdog soft_noboot=1
>>
>>for testing.

yes, it's working like that

>>But I guess you can also add it to /etc/default/pve-ha-manager:
>>
>>WATCHDOG_MODULE="ipmi_watchdog timeout=60"
>>
>>(I have not tested that)

Don't work.

But no problem, define it in modprobe.d is the right place.

BTW, what is the best timeout for the watchdog ?
I think that pve ha manager wait for around 1min before migrating vm ?
if yes, the watchdog timeout should be lower ?

Another question, I have done some tests 2weeks ago with a customer,
and I think I had some problem, if the node reboot too fast
(pve-ha-manager see the node down, but it's coming up again before the vm was migrated).
Is it a known bug ?
If yes, maybe forcing a shutdown/halt and not a reset/reboot of the node is better ?

> BTW, is it possible to pass option to module ?
>
> "ipmi_watchdog timeout=60" for example

AFAIK the suggested way is to add an option line to

/lib/modprobe.d/aliases.conf

or some other modprobe config file. For example I use:

options softdog soft_noboot=1

for testing. But I guess you can also add it to /etc/default/pve-ha-manager: