[pve-devel] Quorum problems with NICs Intel of 10 Gb/s and VMsturns off

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Sat Jan 3 03:41:20 CET 2015

Hi Alexandre

Many thanks for your reply, which is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, your suggestion does not work for me, so i will comment the
results.

Between some comments, also in this message i have 7 questions for you, and
i'll be very grateful if you can answer me.

Only for that be clear about of the version of the programs that i have
installed in the nodes that has a behaviour strange (2 of 6 PVE nodes):
shell> pveversion -v
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.3-139 (running kernel: 3.10.0-5-pve)
pve-manager: 3.3-5 (running version: 3.3-5/bfebec03)
pve-kernel-3.10.0-5-pve: 3.10.0-19
pve-kernel-2.6.32-34-pve: 2.6.32-139
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-15
qemu-server: 3.3-5 <------especial patch created by Alexandre for me
pve-firmware: 1.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-19
libpve-access-control: 3.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-25
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.2-2 <------especial patch created by Alexandre for me
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

After a minute of apply on only a node (pve6), these commands, i lost the
quorum in two nodes (pve5 and pve6):
The commands executed on only a node (pve6):
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_snooping
echo 0 > /sys/class/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_querier

The error message in the node where i applied the commands (pve6) is this:
Message from syslogd at pve6 at Jan  2 20:58:32 ...
rgmanager[4912]: #1: Quorum Dissolved

And as collateral effect, as the pve5 node is configured with HA for a VM
with a "failover domain" between pve5 and pve6 (the nodes), also pve5 has
loss the quorum and the VM that is in HA turns off brutally.

These are the error messages in the screen of the pve5 node:
[    61.246002] dlm: rgmanager: send_repeat_remove dir 6 rg="pvevm:112"
[119373.380111] dlm: closing connection to node 1"
[119373:300150] dlm: closing connection to node 2"
[119373:380182] dlm: closing connection to node 3"
[119373:300205] dlm: closing connection to node 4"
[119373:380229] dlm: closing connection to node 6"
[119373:300268] dlm: closing connection to node 7"
[119373:380319] dlm: closing connection to node 8"
[119545:042242] dlm: closing connection to node 3"
[119545:042264] dlm: closing connection to node 8"
[119545:042281] dlm: closing connection to node 7"
[119545:042300] dlm: closing connection to node 2"
[119545:042316] dlm: closing connection to node 1"
[119545:042331] dlm: closing connection to node 4"
[119545:042347] dlm: closing connection to node 5"
[119545:042891] dlm: dlm user daemon left 1 lockspaces

So i believe that pve has a bug and a great problem, but i am not sure of
that, but i know that if the pve6 node for some reason turns off brutally,
the pve5 node will lose quorum and his VM in HA also will turn off, and this
behaviour will give me several problems due that actually i don't know what
i must do for start the VM in the node that is alive?

So my questions are:
1) Why the pve5 node lost the quorum if i don't applied any change in this
node?
(this node always had the multicast snooping filter disabled)
2) Why the VM that is running on pve5 node and also is configured in HA
turns off brutally?
3) If it is a bug, can someone apply a patch to code?

Moreover, talking about of firewall enabled for the VMs:
I remember that +/- 1 month ago, i tried apply to the firewall a rule
restrictive of access of the IP address of cluster communication to the VMs
without successful, ie, with a policy of firewall by default of "allow",
each time that i enable this unique and restrictive rule to the VM, the VM
lose all network communication. Maybe i am wrong in something.

So i would like to ask you somethings:

4) Can you do a test, and then tell me the results?
5) If the results are positives, can you tell me how do it?
6) And if the results are negatives, can you apply a patch to code?

Moreover, the last question:
7) As each PVE node has his "firewall" tag in the PVE GUI, i guess that such
option is for apply firewall rules of in/out that affect only to this node,
right?, or for what exist such option?