[pve-devel] [PVE-User] backup : add pigz compressor

Daniel Hunsaker danhunsaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:11:07 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015, 23:56 Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com> wrote:

About backup,

I would like to add a new feature :

As I m always afraid of problem which can occur with network backup through
nfs (network saturated, latencies,...),

I would like to add an option, to backup to a temp storage (local ssd for
example), then send the backup async (rsync for example),
to the destination storage. (big slow storage)

What do you think about it ?

 I would love this to be native.  I've already hacked together something
rather like this using the vzdump hook system, but it isn't terribly
portable.  It currently rsyncs the backup files from a local temp storage
to a remote temp storage, then relies on a script existing on the remote
storage that will verify the transfer (I'm comparing SHA1 hashes at the
moment, as I've found that sometimes even a successful rsync will transfer
improperly for various reasons), then move them from the remote temp to the
remote long-term storage, from where they can be restored if needed.

This might be overly complicated for most setups, but as I also retain
backups differently than most setups - taking daily backups, then copying
out the dailies into weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly folders, each
of which retains a configurable number of "snapshots" at each interval, so
I can roll back more flexibly and further as needed - it serves my needs
quite nicely.  It also smooths out a large number of the potential issues
faced when the backup storage servers are located in different data centers
than the virtualization servers.

At any rate, something like this being natively supported would drastically
simplify my setup, so I would love to see this, too.