[pve-devel] [PVE-User] backup : add pigz compressor

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Jul 10 10:59:12 CEST 2015

>>Aren't there solutions to this already? INotify based sync daemons (or
>>even just a cronjob)?

yes, it could be done like this, but it more difficult if you have a proxmox backups running,
and in paralell rsync running. (if rsync are not fast enough, temp storage could be full).
I would like something like:

proxmox backup job1: backup temp storage , rsync ,
  then
proxmox backup job2: backup temp storage , rsync .
sequentially

also,for restore, It's more easy if the backup storage is the one defined in backup job.

Thinking about that,
the main problem currently, is for writes coming from qemu guest,
on block which are not yet backuped.
In this case, old block need to be write to backup, before being replace. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

This is where latencies are important, because if backup storage is satured, it can freeze ios in the vm.

I don't have digged too much in backup patches, but maybe for theses block, is it possible to write them to
a temp storage (local ssd for example), and merge them to vma archive at the end of the backup ?