[pve-devel] Network configuration

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Wed Jul 22 17:52:11 CEST 2015

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:17:58 +0200 (CEST)
Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> Can we implement that reliable?

I am positive. I guess the same applies to Linux bridge based vlans. I
am willing to give it a try.

> I still prefer linux bridge, because it works without additional daemons.
>
> Many feature are not implemented in OVS (multicast snooping/querier, connection
> tracking,
> limited bond modes, iptables, ...), so why is OVS far superior?
>
> I would prefer to have missing bits implemented with linux bridge code.

According to Alexandre's post much of this is coming in ovs 2.4 which
should be available at the time of the release of Proxmox 4.0.

IMHO ovs is superior for two reasons:
1) vlans are linked to ports and not to bridges
2) it more closely resembles the physical world which means simpler to
grasp

PS. what is limited bond modes?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about
it." -- Mark Twain