[pve-devel] Improving the consistency of color schemes in PVE GUI

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Tue Jul 28 11:08:59 CEST 2015

Hello

For the current 4.0 we have three different color codes  to indicate
that a KVM / LXC / physical node is nonrunning vs running:

CURRENT STATUS
                   Non running / Running

LXC                Grey   / Red
Cluster Node       Red    / Green
KVM                Black  / White

The differences  can be  confusing for new users expecially using a red
color to signal a running LXC ( I know I was not the only one to be
confused with that ;)

We tried to improve with Daniela the two icons for a running LXC / KVM
so we have something like:

PROPOSAL
                   Non running / Running

LXC                Grey   / Green
Cluster Node       Red    / Green
KVM                Black  / White & Green

As you see in the included screenshot, the result is much more
consistent and will reduce the cognitive load when using PVE for the
first time.

Discussing anything which matters to color in a software project can
quickly turn a thread to intense bikeshedding, but let's be brave and
take the risk.

Emmanuel