[pve-devel] qemu 2.3 : format=raw need to be explicitly defined for some storages

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Jun 9 14:49:36 CEST 2015

Hi,

I was testing qemu 2.3 with librbd, and I notice a warning

WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'rbd:pooltest/vm-100-disk-1:mon_host=10.5.0.16:auth_supported=none' and probing guessed raw.
         Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
         Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.

It seem that we need to pass format=raw to the drive string, or we are not able to write block0.

Don't have tested with other storages, but I think it should apply on iscsi,zfs and sheepdog too