[pve-devel] RFC: qemu-server : add cloudinit support

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Fri Jun 12 09:18:43 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 08:15:25PM +0200, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> >>So you simply need to stop/start to apply new values?
>
> The config is reapply only if the uuid of the configdrive is changed
> (they are a uuid symlink with old cloud-init config in /var/lib/cloud/instance)

It indeed only seems to *apply* use it when the instance id changes, yet
it *does* update the /var/lib/cloud/instances/<id>/ folder when the
configuration is changed without updating the instance id. The purpose
of this seems to elude me.
And it makes me wonder even more why on ubuntu (and apparently on arch
too) cloud-init keeps trying to connect to the EC2 ip address rather
than just realizing it's already been configured the previous boot.
This needs to be dealt with one way or another.

At the same time I can't find my instance's network configuration in
/var/lib/cloud/instances/<id>, while the 'user_data' part (with users
and ssh keys etc.) seems to be in there.

> My code is wrong, because I take the smbios1 uuid.
> The config uuid is just a random uuid.
>
> I'll send new patchs tomorrow.

But if you change the uuid a new directory appears in
/var/lib/cloud/instances without the old ones disappearing. New files on
every applied update.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious...?