[pve-devel] Live migration should check for host compatibility?

Waschbüsch IT-Services GmbH service at waschbuesch.it
Sat Mar 21 07:03:06 CET 2015

Hi all,

Martin has kindly redirected me to the list as the appropriate place to ask / discuss this:

I noticed that, even though a kvm guest is set to CPU type 'host', the live migration feature does not check for compatibility with the destination host.
E.g. Moving from a Opteron 6366 to an Intel Xeon E5420 is going to cause the migrated VM to choke and die due to lots of CPU features no longer being there.

That in itself is not surprising, but my suggestion would be to at least have a warning popup when choosing to migrate a kvm which is set to CPU type 'host'?

Best,

Martin