[pve-devel] Grub problems and ZFS

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Thu May 21 10:49:00 CEST 2015

> Hi all,
>
> I might have found the cause for the sometimes failing grub install. As
> I updated the grub packages today I discovered very extended install
> time for the grub package which was related to the post-install script.
> The script ran for several minuttes and while running consuming a full
> core 100%.
>
> The cause for this was strictly related to the package os-prober which
> is used to find additional OS's and when you have attached a big
> number of iSCSI LUNs for KVM and/or CT storage this means that
> os-prober will scan all available connected LUNs for additional OS's.
>
> Could this be the cause for failing grub install?
>
> As a side note os-prober is completely useless on a bare-metal
> installer and I think installing proxmox on top of Debian should remove
> this package too?

Yes os-prober is useless on a server (I have yet to meet a dual boot
server ;) and similar problems have been reported in Debian:

os-prober has priority extra ( apt-cache show os-prober | grep Priority
) so it is dafe to remove it but grub-common recommends it, which is why
it was installed in the first place.

IMHO the proper way to fix this, would be to convince the debian grub
maintainers to move the dependency in the grub-common package from
'Recommends' to 'Suggest'
and maybe add the os-prober as a dependency of the 'desktop' task of the
debian installer so that Debian desktop users have it installed.

Emmanuel