[pve-devel] Default cache mode for VM hard drives

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu May 28 09:48:36 CEST 2015

>>I recall from ceph list that there were some barrier problems in kernels < 2.6.33 . I don't know whether those are fixed in the kernel from RHEL6 Proxmox uses...

About barrier,
they are multiple layers (fs, lvm,md, virtio-blk,...) where it was buggy.
It should be ok with any kernel > 2.6.37  (when barrier have be removed and replaced with true FUA implementation)

a good article here:
http://monolight.cc/2011/06/barriers-caches-filesystems/

They are also a bug in old windows virtio-blk driver, fixed 6-7month ago (don't remember the version exactly)