[pve-devel] backup : adding a storage option like "max concurrent backup" ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Nov 26 08:15:34 CET 2015

> The problem is that if you defined a backup job for all nodes at a specific
> time,
>
> It's launching the backup job on all nodes at the same time,

>>We usually simply define one job per node.

It can be complex, because for example, you can't known when 1rst node will be finished to backup
before launching backup on second node.

also, if you define a job for 1 node, and specific vms, it will not work if the vm is migrated on another node

> and backup storage or network can be overloaded.

>>Or you limit vzdump bwlimit on the nodes.

this will limit bandwith on the nodes, but if you have for example 15 nodes, and backup running at the same time,
you can still overload the storage.

Or you need to do complex scheduling by node, to be sure that backups are not running at the same time.
(which is almost impossible to do, with live migration, backups duration can change if vms numbers is different from one day to another day)

My idea was to add some kind of job queue for the backup storage