[pve-devel] proxmox 3->4 cluster upgrade : corosync2 wheezy transition package ?

Daniel Hunsaker danhunsaker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 20:22:00 CEST 2015

Cross-cluster migration could actually be really handy to have as a full
feature.  Then you could, for example, have a development/testing cluster
(possibly a single node) in your dev lab, and a production cluster in your
hosting center(s), and when a given VM moves from dev/test into production,
you simply migrate it to the production cluster.  It would also be handy
for situations like this one, obviously, where you're migrating between
otherwise-incompatible environments.

It would, by its nature, only support offline migration, so there would be
no consideration for HA or any of the numerous checks involved in live
migrations.  The most complexity I can see is in specifying when both
clusters (source and destination) have access to the storage(s) used to
hold the VM/CT images/directories.  You'd have to be able to pass something
like `--map-storage=<source-name>:<destination-name>` for every storage
that is accessible from both clusters.  You'd also have to specify a target
storage for anything that isn't mapped on both clusters, so the migration
could rsync (or whatever) anything that isn't on a shared storage.  But the
rest should be fairly straightforward, as far as I can tell.  So long as
the source can ssh to the destination, it should be a fairly smooth process.