[pve-devel] Proxmox 4 feedback

Gilou contact+dev at gilouweb.com
Sun Oct 4 16:46:47 CEST 2015

Le 04/10/2015 10:50, Thomas Lamprecht a écrit :

> Am 03.10.2015 um 22:40 schrieb Gilou:

>>> How do you connect to the web interface, network and browser? We do not
>>> redirect from our proxy, AFAIK.
>>> How did you install it over the old debian? PVE4 is based on debian
>>> jessie, whereas PVE3.4 is based on wheezy so an upgrade is needed, but
>>> that's not that trivial.
>>> You can install PVE4 on a - new installed - plain debian jessie, though.
>> I did it that way (I didn't want to try the upgrade from Debian,
>> assuming it would end badly ;)). But it seems that it barfed on the
>> partition layout. I deleted the partition table, and it installed just
>> fine. I haven't reproduced or troubleshooted any further.
>>
>> Also, I managed to kill HA, it was working fine on PVE3, but in PVE4 it
>> just didn't work... I have to read more about the new resource manager,
>> but I wasn't impressed by the reliability of the beta overall. I'll get
>> back to it next week and investigate further.
> How did you kill HA? And what doesn't seemed reliable? We welcome bug
> reports!
> I did only some small stuff with 3.4 HA stack and a lot with the 4.0beta
> stack, and for me the new HA manager was easier to configure and also
> reliable on my test cases.
> Although I have to say that as someone which develops on and with the ha
> manager I'm probably a bit biased. :-)
> Look at:
> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster_4.x
> and
>> man ha-manager
> those should give some information how it works.

That's what I intend to read more thoroughly, though I already skimmed
through it while I set it up. HA simply didn't work... Softdog behaving
erraticly, corosync reporting a quorate cluster (and multicast behaving
properly) while resource manager was unable to start, let alone protect
or migrate vms..

I will investigate, and report (unless I find I did something wrong). I
also tried to explicitly separate the NIC for the filer from the
management/cluster one, but it didn't work (and I can't say I believe
it's actually being checked, but it's mentionned in the docs ;))

Also, I won't insist much, but LXC live migration is a requirement for a
proper upgrade plan, as it's working for OpenVZ, and it's not possible
for us to lose that feature.

Cheers,
Gilles