[pve-devel] proxmox 4.0 : "Could not set AIO state: File descriptor in bad state" qemu error with more than 129 kvm (129 disks)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Oct 12 18:53:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have upgraded a server with a lot of vm (160vms),

each vms is a clone of a template and they are 1 disk by vm

When I started the 130th vm, I have this error

kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on: Could not set AIO state: File descriptor in bad state

Stopping another vm, and start the 130th is working.

Seem to be a system limit.

Could it be related to apparmor ?

(starting the vm manually with commandline without systemd does the same thing)

# ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 1031398
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 65536
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 1031398