[pve-devel] adding live migration options ? (xbzlre, compression, ...)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Sep 25 13:44:08 CEST 2015

I have tested xbzrle & compression.

xbzrle seem to be pretty fine, I don't have bug with it. (tested with video player running in guest)
also they are no overhead on 10gbe network

without xbzlre:
Sep 25 12:52:18 migration speed: 1092.27 MB/s - downtime 66 ms

with xbzlre:
Sep 25 13:30:17 migration speed: 1129.93 MB/s - downtime 162 ms

now for compression (default option), I have a big big overhead

Sep 25 13:36:39 migration speed: 352.34 MB/s - downtime 450 ms
and source kvm process jump to 800% (on a xeon-e5 3,1ghz)

I think we can enable xbzrle by default, but for compression,
I really not sure it's a good idea. (depend on cpu/network bandwith)