[pve-devel] Generic term to cover VMs and containers in the documentation

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Wed Apr 13 09:43:38 CEST 2016

On 04/12/2016 02:09 PM, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
>> Emmanuel Kasper <e.kasper at proxmox.com> hat am 12. April 2016 um 13:55
>> geschrieben:
>> What would be a good term to cover both of these ?
>>
>> I am thinking of either 'machine' or 'virtualized system'.
>>
>> 'machine' itself is used by systemd, see this machinectl(1) extract,
>>
>>        machinectl may be used to introspect and control the state
>>        of the systemd(1) virtual machine and container registration
>>        manager systemd-machined.service(8).
>>
>>        -a, --all
>>            When showing machine properties, show all properties
>>            regardless of whether they are set or not.
>>

>> Any thoughts on that ?
>
> I've only seen "machine" in the systemd world so far.. Not sure about
> alternatives though, "guest" might be an option? Does not have a nice
> abbreviation though ;)

Guest (system) fits indeed. It does not overlap a word contained in VM
or CT and is already commonly used.

This mean we would have something like:

'vzdump' is a utility to make consistent snapshots of running guest
systems. It basically creates an archive of the guest private
area, which also includes the guest configuration files. '

If nobody opposes we can use this term when needed.