[pve-devel] iothread

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Aug 19 05:43:52 CEST 2016

>>I have just discovered that when iothread is enabled on a disk this
>>disk cannot be moved online using move disk.

just tested from ceph to ceph, with iothread enabled, indeed it's hanging the qemu process when doing the switch to new disk.
data copy itself seem to works.
I think this is a qemu bug, it should work.

>>Also as discovered
>>previously you cannot make a backup of such disk either.

native qemu backup support them since 2014, but proxmox backup code don't implemented it.
"block: let backup blockjob run in BDS AioContext"
http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commit;h=761731b1805f6ef64eb615e5b82a0801db3cde78

(Note that I don't known how much code share proxmox vma backup code with qemu backup)

>>The iothread
>>current implementation in Proxmox in my opinion is totally useless!

Well, this is the 2 only things that didn't work currently. I don't think it's "useless".
Personnaly, I'm using iothread with big databases on ceph, where I need a lot of iops for database journal disk, database datas disk,....

I have just discovered that when iothread is enabled on a disk this
disk cannot be moved online using move disk. Also as discovered
previously you cannot make a backup of such disk either. The iothread
current implementation in Proxmox in my opinion is totally useless!

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys: