[pve-devel] Storage::Plugin::deactivate_volume not executed, when VM does shutdown

Dmitry Petuhov mityapetuhov at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 21:13:39 CET 2016

11.12.2016 21:16, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> I simply do not understand why you think the current approach is wrong. It works
> with all major storage types, i.e. Ceph, sheepdog, iscsi, NFS, Gluster,
> DRBD on LVM in dual primary mode, DRBD9, ...
Actually, current approach can theoretically (I don't currently have Ceph on PVE4 to test it) lead to problems with Ceph with krbd option on. If VM has voluntary stropped, then deactivate_volume() is not being run and rbd map is not deleted.
Then, you may somehow migrate machine to another node without deactivating volume (do offline migration on shared storage call [de]activate_volume?). Then, if you try to delete this volume, you will get error because it is still mapped on first node.

Same on LVM plugin with clvm enabled (yes, I know that clvm is not recommended on PVE anyway).