[pve-devel] pve-kernel package : add irqbalance as recommended ? (like debian linux-image package)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sat Feb 20 08:25:42 CET 2016

>>Some articles, for instance https://www.kernel.org/doc/ols/2009/ols2009-pages-169-184.pdf,
>>explicitly recommend disabling irqbalance when 10GbE is involved.
>>
>>Do you know if this is still true today? After all, the paper is from 2009.

Well, the article is about to disabling irqbalance AND manually binding cpus on network interfaces.

Manual binding is better because you can fine tuning.

But using irqbalance vs do nothing, irqbalance wins.

I have seen a lot of system, using only cpu0 for network interrupts for example.

Benching ceph, I was stuck around 100000iops 4k (client side/proxmox host) without irqbalance, and 300000 iops with irqbalance.
(This was with 10gbe mellanox cards)