[pve-devel] pve-kernel package : add irqbalance as recommended ? (like debian linux-image package)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sat Feb 20 10:08:04 CET 2016

<> Have a look at red hats tuned which is much better and open source at fedora.

>>https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/tuned.git
>>
>>But I have not found reasonable docs - why is is better? What features does
i>>t provide? Can it replace ksmtuned?

tuned tool from redhat is just for tunning kernel params, cpu gouvernor, ioscheduler, ... from profiles (high-bandwith vs low latency for example)

It's not related to ksm.

you can find details about the profils and tuning values here :

https://videos.cdn.redhat.com/summit2015/presentations/11952_performance-tuning-red-hat-enterprise-linux-platform-for-databases.pdf

(page 8).

Could be great to have something similar in proxmox. (should be east to implement), choosing in gui for each server, presets of tuning.

BTW, I have redone a lot of tests with transparent hugepage and last kernels, it seem to works fine with default MADVISE.
I have done tests with a lot of databases, redis, mongo  and I don't have seen any regression, and some boost with java application

> Sadly there is various Hardware and chips out there crashing with irqbalance.
> That's why I removed it from all machines and tune where needed.

OK, so we cannot recommend it...