[pve-devel] Disk Image Upload

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sat Feb 20 14:35:01 CET 2016

> Your argument is correct, that would be the best way.
>
> But the problem for us is that our customers use the proxmox ui with
> very limited permissions.
> They don't maintain their drives on their own, the buttons to add or
> remove disks are not visible to them. Also they don't have permission to
> allocate space on the storage for vm images.
>
> Do you know how to combine your described way with our restrictions?

Maybe we can introduce a special permission called

Datastore.ReplaceDisk

That would allow the user to:

- allocate and upload a temporary disk with same size as
  a existing one

- automatically replace the VM disk when upload completes

If the user has Datastore.AllocateSpace, we can use the
unusedX volume mechanism (no need to auto-replace an existing disk)