[pve-devel] pve-kernel package : add irqbalance as recommended ? (like debian linux-image package)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Feb 21 09:50:24 CET 2016

 > Could be great to have something similar in proxmox. (should be east to
> > implement), choosing in gui for each server, presets of tuning.

>>I guess it would be great if we can provide some of those settings on the GUI.
Yes.

I think it could be great to have options in gui for:

- ioscheduler
- transparent hugepage
- kernel tuning profiles with latency / throughput

>>Unfortunately that package is not systemd ready... Maybe we can package
>>ourselves using the latest version, and provide systemd service files?

yes, systemd service file is available in irqbalance git repo:

https://github.com/Irqbalance/irqbalance/blob/master/misc/irqbalance.service

> I think it's doing more than that, including power management detection and
> change on the fly based on statistics
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Power_Management_Guide/Tuned.html
>
> (But for a server, it's useless. Static values are enough)

OK

> > Could be great to have something similar in proxmox. (should be east to
> > implement), choosing in gui for each server, presets of tuning.

I guess it would be great if we can provide some of those settings on the GUI.

We can also install the irqbalance package by default, but disable the daemon.
So the user can simply enable it on the node/services panel.