[pve-devel] Suggest hostnames in bash completion

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Jul 18 19:28:18 CEST 2016

> The problem with the REST API (apart from the overhead of spawning Curl
> processes and doing SSL handshake and encryption) is that it requires
> authentication: you don't want to save your PVE password in a bashrc file, or
> enter it at the prompt just to have auto-complete.

For unix sockets, you can query the unix user of the connecting peer - so this
is not really a problem. Also, you can connect
to pvedaemon (not pveproxy), so connections are simple http (unencrypted). But
you still have the overhead of spawning curl...

I wonder why bash does not support unix sockets....