[pve-devel] Speed up PVE Backup

Timo Grodzinski t.grodzinski at profihost.ag
Fri Mar 4 11:09:36 CET 2016

Hi Alexandre,

Am 02.03.2016 um 15:23 schrieb Alexandre DERUMIER:
>>>We're currently implementing our own backup system which uses the
>>>drive-backup qmp routine to dump qcow2. We don't need the config files.
>>>And this works with ceph and 4MB cluster size.
>
> How about speed performance (64K,4MB) and stability   vs proxmox vma
> format ?

We (Stefan and I) do not have benchmarks, that are fully comparable.

We tested a 100GB virtio drive from ceph backup upped to NFS:

- with VMA, default 64kb cluster size and without read/write limits:

|      | Snapshot | Suspend |  Stop |
|------+----------+---------+-------|
| none |    09:55 |   09:37 | 09:35 |
| LZO  |    10:24 |   10:26 | 10:20 |
| GZip |    31:52 |   32:22 |       |

- QMP drive-backup (params sync => full, format => qcow2), 4MB cluster
size and 130 mb/s, 215 ops/s read; 90 mb/s, 155 ops/s write limits:

9:15 Minutes.

QMP drive-backup with above limits and default cluster size 64KB took
very long, more than 40 minutes...

> I'm curious, because I still fear to use proxmox feature when I see all
> the stability bugs reports on the forum.
> And I would like to test incremental backup too. (only full backup is
> not possible for me)

We don't have much experience with stability for plain QMP drive-backup
yet, sorry.

Greets,
Timo

> *Alexandre* *Derumier*
> *Ingénieur système et stockage*
>
> *Fixe :* 03 20 68 90 88
> *Fax :* 03 20 68 90 81
>
> 45 Bvd du Général Leclerc 59100 Roubaix
> 12 rue Marivaux 75002 Paris
>
> <https://twitter.com/OdisoHosting> <https://twitter.com/mindbaz> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/odiso> <http://www.viadeo.com/fr/company/odiso> <https://www.facebook.com/monsiteestlent>
>
> MonSiteEstLent.com <http://www.monsiteestlent.com/> - Blog dédié à la
> webperformance et la gestion de pics de trafic

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
  Timo Grodzinski
Ihr Profihost Team

Profihost AG
Expo Plaza 1
30539 Hannover
Deutschland

Tel.: +49 (511) 5151 8181     | Fax.: +49 (511) 5151 8282

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hannover, USt-IdNr. DE813460827
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hannover, Register-Nr.: HRB 202350
Vorstand: Cristoph Bluhm, Sebastian Bluhm, Stefan Priebe
Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. iur. Winfried Huck (Vorsitzender)