[pve-devel] hostpci multifunction configuration

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Tue Mar 29 14:18:43 CEST 2016

I'm currently in the process of changing more of qemu-server's
configuration parsers over to the JSONSchema's property string mechanism
and am currently stumbling over an inconsistency in the way we're
handling lists.
Specifically with the -hostpci options we're apparently allowing
multiple `host=pciid` to create an array of virtual function pci
devices.

In other places we're using semicolons for lists/arrays (eg. vlan
trunks, and soon numa which currently only takes one range, but qemu
allows multiple ranges, so I'm adding ';'-separated ranges there, too).

I was wondering if there are any objections to changing this bit to use
semicolons as well for consistency.
The multifunction support is currently not documented as far as I can
tell (neither manpage nor wiki?), so I'm not too worried about many
users running into this if we change it, I think?

So:
Old (long): host=00:1a.0,host=00:1a.1,host=00:1a.2
Old (short): 00:1a.0,00:1a.1,00:1a.2
New (long): host=00:1a.0;00:1a.1;00:1a.2
New (short): 00:1a.0;00:1a.1;00:1a.2

Admittedly it's a little less readable than the old long version, but at
least we'd be consistent (and I wouldn't have to extend the property
string parser by a feature for just a single option again - already
have to do that for network devices and there I cannot avoid it... but
I'd rather reduce the number of special cases if I can.)

Any objections?