[pve-devel] UUID for VM's and disks

Andrew Thrift andrew at networklabs.co.nz
Tue May 17 06:39:21 CEST 2016

Hi Dietmar,

Using a pool per cluster will mean that you may need to split/shrink
your placement group count to stay within Ceph best-practises.  With
using a fixed number of pools, you can calculate the correct number of
PG's for your estimated OSD count.
By using a UUID for the disks and having a shared ceph pool, we would
be able to move VM's between the PVE clusters to balance around the
Proxmox clustering limits without fear of overlapping disk ID's.

Having UUID's for VM's is not as important, but just ensures that 3rd
party applications are referencing a unique ID for a VM and removes
the potential for basic coding errors removing a VM from the wrong
cluster.