[pve-devel] Disabling os-prober when installing on top of debian ?

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Nov 14 16:21:23 CET 2016

Hi

The debian grub package has a dependency on os-prober which is known to
corrupt the file systems of virtual machines.
Basically os-prober tries to mount each block device available on the
host, looking for other installed OS to create dualboot entries for grub.

This does not play very well when the block device being mounted is
actually doing I/O in the guest.
( see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=648208 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=788062 for horror stories)

We already set

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

in our own grub package in /etc/default/grub, but this

Now I was wondering, should we add a dependency to our grub package in
pve-manager ? We could also add a big red note in the installation
documentation, but doing the right thing by default would save time for
most users.

Emmanuel