[pve-devel] Finding VMs by hostname, not id

Andreas Steinel a.steinel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 19:56:04 CEST 2016

Yes, that's one way to go. We used ddns almost 10 years ago and went for a
"full static" setup.

Isn't there a chicken and egg problem now? Where is the name defined if I
install via PXE in an automatic fashion?

Until now I setup the VM automatically (CLI) and give it a name and
retrieve the mac, insert it into our ldap including PXE options and bootup
the VM. A few minutes later, the VM is installed and configured with a
static IP, given by DHCP (we retrieve via DHCP but set this retrieved IP
statically if it is not a dynamic pool address). This setup works fine for
creating a VM, but we still need to identify it afterwards if you see it in
the GUI. Therefore I add the IP/Hostname to the comment such that I can
find it easily.