[pve-devel] [RFC storage/manager 00/20] pveceph storage.cfg management

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri Aug 25 13:12:25 CEST 2017

On 08/25/2017 10:48 AM, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> this patch series implements storage.cfg management for pveceph-managed ceph
> clusters. the following is implemented:
>
> - add new 'pveceph' flag to RBD storages
> - pveceph addstorage/lsstorages/removestorage to add/list/remove storage entries, per pool
> - optionally adding/removing storages when creating/destroying a pool
> - updating managed storage entries when creating/destroying a monitor
>
> I am not 100% content with the API structure, which is the primary reason for
> RFCing: currently the storage related API paths are located under
> regarding future changes to give them their own 'first-class' API endpoint like

+1

> that would allow stuff like listing all pveceph-managed storages at once. on
> the other hand, 'pveceph addstorage <storage> -pool <pool>' is less natural
> than 'pveceph addstorage <pool> <storage>' IMHO.

You could still achieve the desired CLI command with the api change,
the $arg_param array (RESTHandler::usage_str), which defines the ordered
parameters can be any parameter in any order of the API calls schema,
it must no be a path placeholder.

> I was also thinking about renaming the API placeholder <name> to <pool_name> or
> <pool> if we keep the current API schema, because with two placeholders/name
> parameters it is better to be explicit.

<pool> would be OK with the now taken API path and the 'first-class' API endpoint,
IMO, so maybe I'd take that one.

> furthermore, the whole PVE/API2/Ceph.pm is long overdue for a refactoring into
> individual API modules and paths IMHO. I wonder whether it would be okay to
> break backwards compatibility here since PVE 5.x does not (yet) have stable
> pveceph support?

Refactoring/splitting out would be great. I'm bit unsure about API (path) changes,
but yes it is not marked as stable, so either now or with PVE 6.