[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sun Dec 31 11:35:05 CET 2017

> First, merry X-mas and happy new year to all proxmox team.

Thanks! Merry X-mas and happy new year to you and all other
people supporting Proxmox.

> (You have made a great job in 2017, a lot of polish and cleanup to current
> proxmox code !).
>

> I looking for 2018, to add support for network plugins (like for storage), and
> "virtual networks".
>

> By virtual network, I mean, to be able to define new kind of sdn networks or
> abstract of "vmbr+vlan"
> for exapple
>
> "customerA network"  -> which could be "vmbrX + vlan"
> "customerB network"  -> which could be "ovs vmbrX + vxlan"
> "customerC network"  -> which could be "ovs+dpdk"
> "customerD network"  -> which could be "another kind of network (opencontrail
> vrouter, vpp, snabswitch, midonet ..."
>
> also be able to defined network range, that user could use by network.
>
> and a Custom Plugin directory , like for storage, where users could defined
> they own plugins.
>

> Something like /etc/pve/networks.cfg (like storage.cfg, with
> network-plugins-options)
>

> What do you think about it ?

The idea sounds good :-)

We currently store network settings in /etc/network/interfaces and use ifupdown
manage everything. But ifupdown is badly maintained and there is no more
developement
on that package, so we want to move away from that.

My original plan was to use systemd networkd:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-networkd.service.html

What do you think about that?