[pve-devel] Custom storage plugins API

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Fri Jan 13 11:10:09 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:56:26AM +0100, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:

> On 01/13/2017 10:42 AM, Dmitry Petuhov wrote:
> > 13.01.2017 12:26, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
> > > For the beginning a wiki would be probably also be a little better
> > > suited than pve-docs, as docs is more an admin guide than a
> > > developer guide.
> > In that case POD could contain developer guide, while pve-docs contain
> > admin guide.
>
> True, maybe adding it to pve-docs but not exporting it to the admin guide
> would be an option, just to profit from the nice stuff asciidocs gives us.
>

> > But wiki is OK, except... How to register there? I see only log in link,
> > but no create account.
> >

> AFAIK, for anti spam reasons, please send a mail to office [at] proxmox dot
> com requesting a account for the wiki :)

Dietmar, Wolfang B and I would rather see short and precise
documentation in Plugin.pm in the form of comments. This is not intended
for users, and it's too special to go into the general Developer
Documentation article (where it would probably also get outdated)..

I think 1-3 lines per public sub should be enough, focussing on the
non-obvious ;) (inline comments if needed are also okay of course)

e.g.:
not something like "resize a volume" (which is already clear from the
method name),
but something like "resize a volume. return 1 to delegate resizing to
caller if impossible, return undef if volume was resized"

if anything is unclear, don't hesitate to ask! I think that parts of
Storage.pm might also benefit from such treatment..