[pve-devel] HW driver / DKMS

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 16 07:57:38 CET 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 12:29:02PM +0300, Dmitry Petuhov wrote:
> Yes, you can. Just install pve-headers package corresponding to your running kernel. Also you will have to manually install headers on every kernel update.

We introduced a pve-headers meta-package which always pulls in the
latest pve-headers-XX package (so if you are using the kernel dependend
on by proxmox-ve , pve-headers will always depend on the appropriate
pve-headers-XX package). This is the strongest dependency we can offer
short of installing the headers together with every kernel, which we
don't want to do ;)

While this eases the pain of using DKMS somewhat, keep in mind that any
modules you install and use via DKMS are neither tested nor supported
by us - usually it's only a question of time until something breaks.

I strongly recommend having some kind of test environment that closely
mimics your actual systems in order to catch ABI breakage and other
incompatibilities with the module sources before you have a half-broken
installation on your production systems. This is a good idea in general,
but DKMS with a moving kernel target is especially prone to breaking in
my experience (I say this with my "running Debian Sid on personal
machines" hat on :P).

If you need specific (Open Source ;)) kernel modules or newer upstream
versions that provide a clear benefit, feel free to recommend them for
inclusion into pve-kernel (either here on pve-devel or via a bug report
on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com).

Last but not least, for one-time testing you can just manually compile
module sources without DKMS (you still need to kernel headers for your
kernel and the build tools).