[pve-devel] Question: open virtual appliance

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Wed Jan 18 12:25:44 CET 2017

On 01/16/2017 10:14 PM, Gustaf Ankarloo wrote:
> Are there any plans of making a import function for OVA/OVF ?
> I know it's doable with a lot of manual tinkering

I have this somewhere in my todo list although it is not high priority
at the momment.

I would like to try to following approach:
 * extract the OVA archive (itsel a tar) to get the OVF xml manifest and
the disk image
 * from the OVF xml file generate a minimal vm.conf
 * create a vma archive with the disk image and associated vm.conf using
the vma command
 * now you have a valid vzdump  ready to be extracted to the storage of
your choice with the tools you know already

stuff to be left out for first approach:

 * ova with multiple disk images (don't know if the vma command line
utils support that)

 * extraneous paramaters of OVF file. The OVF spec is 40 pages long and
allows vendor specific options via private xml namespaces. So we're not
going to cover all of it.

Any comments on this approach ?