[pve-devel] Low downtime alternative for container migration

Teemu Grönqvist teemu.gronqvist at net9.fi
Mon Jul 24 13:48:39 CEST 2017

Yes, been reading through pve-container and pve-storage projects. As I
am not familiar with Proxmox's code that much yet, I'd like to ask
whether my plans sound reasonable or not:

- Create snapshot of the volume in PVE::LXC::Migrate::prepare named
__migration__
- Migrate the snapshot as the disk of the container using
PVE::Storage::storage_migrate in PVE::LXC::Migrate::phase1 (standard dd
migration, but use the snapshot as the source instead of the original disk)
- Remove the snapshot
- Shutdown the container (normal migration shuts the container down in
prepare, but we should wait until phase1 storage migration)
- Rsync the changes in PVE::LXC::Migrate::phase1
- Continue normally with the migration

How does this flow sound? I'd rather not touch pve-storage and keep the
changes in pve-container.

Kind regards,
Teemu Grönqvist
Net9 Oy