[pve-devel] pve-manager questions

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Fri Jun 2 17:23:13 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I need some clarifications.

When is the storage function volume_deactivate called?
When is the storage functions storage_activate and storage_deactivate
called?

The reason I need this information is because the new freenas plugin
will expose the volumes via the proxmox nodes local scsi subsystem so
when a disk is moved or a virtual machine is migrated I need to remove
the volume(s) from the source node.

Benefits of using local scsi subsystem for exposing volumes are:
1) Avoid using libiscsi since libiscsi only implements a subset of the
iscsi protocol.
2) Using local scsi subsystem (openiscsi) adds support for security
like chap etc.
3) Using local scsi subsystem (openiscsi) adds support for MPIO
4) Using local scsi subsystem (openiscsi) adds support for exposing
disks for CT's and at the same time gives the benefit of snapshot,
clones, and linked clones for CT's.
5) Removes an extra layer of complexity.
6) Slightly higher IOPS.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
I'm sure that that could be indented more readably, but I'm scared of
the awk parser.
		-- Larry Wall in <6849 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>