[pve-devel] Problems creating live snapshot

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Wed Jun 7 08:52:19 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 08:21:09AM +0200, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 08:16:31 +0200
> Fabian Grünbichler <f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com> wrote:
>

> > maybe an issue with the colons in the path, which potentially require
> > escaping?
> >
> That has not been an issue so far. It is only this particular function
> that give problems. Why do you think colons should be a problem in this
> particular case?

was just a shot in the dark, but a quick test seems to indicate this is
not the problem (qemu uses : to separate options inside a string in a
lot of places, so having : as part of a value is often problematic -
this usually occurs with values that include a ADDR:PORT kind of value)

how does your plugin generate the path? does it actually check that it
already exists? maybe the sequence of allocate -> path -> savevm-start
is too fast, and the symlink is not actually there yet when savevm is
called? (I am guessing the symlink is generated by UDEV? those can take
a bit sometimes, and also disappear and reappear in some scenarios..)

this could easily be tested by adding a sleep or udev trigger udev
settle sequence into QemuConfig's __snapshot_create_vol_snapshots_hook,
inside the before branch before calling savevm-start (line 185 in
current master).