[pve-devel] Building from Source - Dependency Sequencing Issue?

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Tue May 30 09:12:46 CEST 2017

> On May 29, 2017 at 11:12 PM Michael Aldridge <aldridge.mac at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> If I understand this correctly, I should be able to build pve-firewall
> and then qemu-server which would make the build order look like this:
>
> libqb.git
> corosync-pve.git
> pve-common.git

+ pve-guest-common.git

Missing this one might explain the errors you're getting.
Added some more comments below regardless, hope it helps.

> pve-docs.git

This one's a little tricky. I'm surprised you made it all the way to the
firewall, unless you just ignored the errors when trying to build the
documentation from all the other packages, as it contains both the
documentation generation code as well as the templates to build the
main docs _from_ all the other packages once they are installed.
Run `make gen-deb` here to only build the doc-generator required for the
later packages. That one should only need pve-common IIRC.

> pve-cluster.git
> lvm.git
> pve-access-control.git
> pve-storage.git
> pve-qemu-kvm.git
> pve-firewall.git
> qemu-server.git
> vncterm.git
> spiceterm.git
> pve-manager.git
> libiscsi.git
> ksm-control-daemon.git
> pve-container.git

Once both pve-container and qemu-server are installed you may want to rerun
the tests of pve-firewall, (or simply rebuild the package, but it shouldn't
make a difference regarding the contents of the package it produces).

> pve-kernel.git
>
> I tried using that order and building pve-firewall at version 2.0-33 but
> it dies trying to load PVE::LXC.  It seems to be dying in the doc step
> of the build though.

It's possible that some of the patches to conditionally disable docs or tests
during bootstrap compilations aren't in stable-4. Though I don't think that's
the case with pve-firewall. Did your pve-docs produce a pve-doc-generator.deb
you could install successfully?
(Otherwise you could remove the `pve-firewall.8` in src/Makefile's `all`
dependency list and remove the `include .../pve-doc-generator.mk` file to get
around this)