[pve-devel] Call to translaters: Proxmox VE has new features and need your translations !

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Thu Nov 9 09:38:16 CET 2017

Dear Pve Translators (and dear future PVE translators) !

We always add new features to the PVE gui like Storage Replication, Ceph
Dashboard, but unfortunately the translations tend to lag
behind for many languages, resulting in a mix of English and Locale
language when a different language is selected.

We try to maintain the translation ourselves
for German, French and Italian, but we have 17 other languages besides that.

This is the number of untranslated strings that we currently have as
of Pve 5.1:

sv.po:           147
tr.po:           140
pt_BR.po:        140
pl.po:           140
da.po:           140
ca.po:           140
ru.po:           139
sl.po:           138
zh_CN.po:        112
fa.po:           111
eu.po:           109
es.po:           89
gl.po:           88
nn.po:           67
nb.po:           67
hu.po:           66
ja.po:           21

You can easily bring your own language up to date by doing these 4 easy
steps:

1. clone the git repository containing the translations

git clone git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-manager.git

2. open the translation of your native language with poedit, vim, well
you know

3. then iterate through the strings to translate.

 A) Please check on the GUI where the element appears to know the
context. For instance "Attribute" can mean different things depending on
where it happens.

B) It is perfectly fine, and even sometimes recommended to use the
same word as in english (for instance for LXC, DHCP, NFS, kernel, etc
...)
In that case, just copy the English word.

4. send the updated po my_language.po file to pve-devel at pve.proxmox.com

If you know more about git, you can also send a proper formatted patch
as explained in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation
We follow the same mail based workflows as many Linux projects.

Emmanuel