[pve-devel] ZFS recv in Proxmox 5.x VM extremly hanging problems

Detlef Bracker bracker at 1awww.com
Thu Nov 9 18:58:35 CET 2017

Dear,

min more as 1 year we make backups into VM-containers with ZFS without
problems, but I dont know from weeks ago,
this works not more. The incremental zfs-streams works every time fine,
but not create new zfs subpools! This is equal now
in last proxmox 4.x version and too in proxmox 5.x in VM (KVM) and with
different disk-types expl qcow2, raw - I have test
all out!

Phenomen the stream receive expl. 500 MB and then stops - no more
transfer between sender and receiver and this
on different machines I have tested! One short backup from an
LXC-container use 556 MB effectiv and compressed as
gzip 359 MBytes and uncompressed 2 GB.

About this, the VM hangs with 100% CPU (SYS) and in Proxmox VE you see
expl 20 % (USER) (htop on host and in vm).
In the VM the traffic to discs is 0% - equal nothing in iotop! And in
atop the same 0% disc IO - only CPU 100% SYS!
But the CPU has nothing to doe and has 8 GB RAM in the VM and in use
from this only 2 GB!
I have test on VM-Debian 8 and VM-Debian 9! Again before this was every
time running perfect under VM-Debian 8!
So, we have too a dedicated machine free with nothing on it only for
test the scenario!

Ok, then I separate the stream to send in a gzip file and on the vm I
have unpack and let the file get in the the recv and
thats the same thing! Wait 2 or 10 hours or 24 hours - nothing will been
changed! ZFS-check with zpool grub brings no
errors! So the file system are correct. The Job hangs without booting
equal days!

Ok, then i have let receive the same backup-package what I have got on
the VM import on the Proxmox VE (on the host)
via zfs recv [Subpool at today] and this finshed in short as 2 seconds
(normal and fine)!

So something in Proxmox 4.x (latest versions) and Proxmox 5.x blocks
inside VM the ZFS receiving - Traffic and produce
only CPU load! Cache off or cache writethrou / qcow2 or raw / as zfs or
as disc-file in normal arrea!

So I have test this problem on minimum 3 complete different machine!

The hosts runs equal under Debian 8 (Jessie) and under Debian 9
(Stretch) - and on Host ok, but in VM not! So that
cant been a problem of Debian self. This must been a problem of Proxmox
scheduler or something what block the VM!

Regards

Detlef