[pve-devel] rfc : implementing a cloudinit metadata server

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Sep 1 10:02:08 CEST 2017

I have done some tests,

It's a little bit more complicated that I thinked.

It's working fine with openstack,amazon, .... because they don't use vlan and all is routed by default.
(they have 1 central metadataserver outside compute node, and traffic is routed to it)

The guest vm have an ip in 169.254.0.0/16, but need to resolve arp of 169.254.169.254.

I have tried to do arp spoofing, send proxmox host mac address to vm guest.
that's work.

so I'm seeing packets coming to host

I can redirect traffic to

-A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.3.94.31:8006

But the ACK packets can't return back to the vm, to 169.254.x.x/16.

Maybe some iptables tricks could do it ?

I'm not sure it's possible without have a real 169.254.169.254 ip on host ?

and with vlan aware bridge or ovs, that mean 1 x 169.254.169.254 on each vlan. (with 1 extra interface for example).

and with a cluster, we need that on each host. (so need arp filtering)

So,I wonder if using iso images is not more simple. (BTW, microsoft azure use also iso images for cloudinit)

Maybe for lxc, is it possible to inject cloudinit config locally in container. (I need to check differents providers)