[pve-devel] API - GET /nodes/{node}/storage

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Apr 17 08:43:16 CEST 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 06:03:58PM +0200, Andreas Steinel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to access the storage API and looked through [1] to find, that the
>
> GET /nodes/{node}/storage
>
> returns an array of string according to [2] the excerpt is:
>
> "GET" : {
>    "description" : "Get status for all datastores.",
>    "method" : "GET",
>    "name" : "index",
>    "parameters" : {
>       "additionalProperties" : 0,
>       "properties" : {
>          "content" : {
>             "description" : "Only list stores which support this content type.",
>             "format" : "pve-storage-content-list",
>             "optional" : 1,
>             "type" : "string",
>             "typetext" : "<string>"
>          },
>          "enabled" : {
>             "default" : 0,
>             "description" : "Only list stores which are enabled (not
> disabled in config).",
>             "optional" : 1,
>             "type" : "boolean",
>             "typetext" : "<boolean>"
>          },
>          "node" : {
>             "description" : "The cluster node name.",
>             "format" : "pve-node",
>             "type" : "string",
>             "typetext" : "<string>"
>          },
>          "storage" : {
>             "description" : "Only list status for  specified storage",
>             "format" : "pve-storage-id",
>             "optional" : 1,
>             "type" : "string",
>             "typetext" : "<string>"
>          },
>          "target" : {
>             "description" : "If target is different to 'node', we only
> lists shared storages which content is accessible on this 'node' and
> the specified 'target' node.",
>             "format" : "pve-node",
>             "optional" : 1,
>             "type" : "string",
>             "typetext" : "<string>"
>          }
>       }
>    },
>    "permissions" : {
>       "description" : "Only list entries where you have
> 'Datastore.Audit' or 'Datastore.AllocateSpace' permissions on
> [...]

in PVE's JSONSchema, unless "additionalProperties" is set to false, the
list of properties is not exhaustive. in this case, we have an 'object'
that has at least the property "storage" of type "string" - the rest is
up to the storage plugin. the reason that the "storage" property is
explicitly defined (besides the fact that it is the only guarantueed
one) is that the "/nodes/{NODE}/storage/{STORAGE}" API path is defined
for each of the returned storages, as indicated by the "links" member of
the "returns" hash.

> root at pve-5-apitest:~# pvesh get /nodes/pve-5-apitest/storage
> 200 OK
> [
>    {
>       "active" : 1,
>       "avail" : 23488102400,
>       "content" : "rootdir,images",
>       "enabled" : 1,
>       "shared" : 0,
>       "storage" : "local-lvm",
>       "total" : 23488102400,
>       "type" : "lvmthin",
>       "used" : 0
>    },
>    {
>       "active" : 1,
>       "avail" : 2546470912,
>       "content" : "iso,vztmpl,backup",
>       "enabled" : 1,
>       "shared" : 0,
>       "storage" : "local",
>       "total" : 4160421888,
>       "type" : "dir",
>       "used" : 1382428672
>    }
> ]
>
> Yet I did not find any format description of this. The API in [1] does
> e.g. contain only two times the attribute "used" is only found two
> times, and neither does apply here. Could you point me to the place
> where it is defined?

the API endpoint is in [1], as you can see it calls
PVE::Storage::storage_info() and then filters the result based on
permissions and given parameters. as can be seen in [2], this method in
turn calls $plugin->status() for each configured storage (via the
storage type's plugin):

1069 eval { ($total, $avail, $used, $active) = $plugin->status($storeid, $scfg, $cache); };
1070 warn $@ if $@;
1071 next if !$active;
1072 $info->{$storeid}->{total} = int($total);
1073 $info->{$storeid}->{avail} = int($avail);
1074 $info->{$storeid}->{used} = int($used);
1075 $info->{$storeid}->{active} = $active;

so in fact the 'returns' schema in the API call could be extended to
mention these four values as well, since there is no possibility for
storage plugins to provide their own, custom fields. it might make sense
to make sure "active" is a boolean (e.g., via "$active ? 1 : 0") and
specify it accordingly.

a bit earlier in the same method, we have the following initialization
of $info:

1031 $info->{$storeid} = {
1032     type => $type,
1033     total => 0,
1034     avail => 0,
1035     used => 0,
1036     shared => $ids->{$storeid}->{shared} ? 1 : 0,
1037     content => PVE::Storage::Plugin::content_hash_to_string($ids->{$storeid}->{content}),
1038     active => 0,
1039     enabled => $storage_enabled ? 1 : 0,
1040 };

so we in fact have another 4 well-defined values which come from the
config directly, bringing the total up to:

total: int
used: int
avail: int
enabled: boolean
active:boolean (needs to be ensured!)
shared: boolean
type: string (see below)
content: string (with format 'pve-storage-content-list')

all of those are defined in the base plugin (PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm),
except for "type", which is actually part of the underlying config
module (pve-common/src/PVE/SectionConfig.pm), where it is defined as
'string' with the 'enum' property set to all registered plugin types -
since those are actually returned by each plugin's "type()" method, and
custom third-party plugins are supported, we probably don't want to
overspecify it and a plain "string" is good enough for now.

(hint, patches welcome ;))

1: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-storage.git;a=blob;f=PVE/API2/Storage/Status.pm;h=ab07146caa8612333e0e5a843df47821c9ecb30e;hb=HEAD#l82
2: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-storage.git;a=blob;f=PVE/Storage.pm;h=4140a9993eafa6e539c985174272f3c7c7f68277;hb=HEAD#l1005