[pve-devel] Port BR_GROUPFWD_RESTRICTED patch for Layer 1-esque Linux Bridge forwarding

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sat Aug 25 15:09:31 CEST 2018

Using an extra bridge device for each point-to-point connection is
very clumsy. I thought about introducing a new type of virtual
network connection (and maybe call it vcable) to directly connect
two network devices using an UDP tunnel. Config would look like:

net0: vcable=200net1 # connect to VM200 device net1

Qemu already provide a UDP socket tunnel, and I guess it should be possible
to use that for this purpose. AFAIR cumulus VX documentation has some example
to use this. The current qemu tunnel implementation requires to manually assign
UDP ports - this is clumsy and we should try avoid that.

Above would work on a local host only, but it should also be possible to
implement
a user space daemon which tunnels the traffic to other nodes if required....