[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Jan 2 10:38:28 CET 2018

>>But nobody really use that - not even debian plans to switch to that
>>implementation?

cumulus linux used it on their switch ;) I don't known if debian is planning to switch for buster in 1 or 2 years or not.
But it's backward compatible with current ifupdown (excluding) ovs.  (they have vlan aware bridge support, vxlan support, ...)

I have see a recent presentation at debconf 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPPcDoShEI

>>Never tried, but why not? Well, AFAIK it is written in C.
I'll try to take time to look at it.

>>I guess this is the fasted way to go, but then we need to write
>>and maintain everything ourselves. I would prefer to work on
>>something that can be shared across multiple projects?

I think that we also need network plugin, because if we want to implement something else than bridge or ovs,
we need to manage the tap plug/unplug (or vhost-user if we wan't to play with dpdk), maybe specicic implementation.
or if we want to manage something more complex which need global config. (
for example, opencontrail allow to define ip range by network, and have an integrated dhcp)
or vxlan + evpn-bgp, which need to manage a bgp daemon on host

I'm not sure that all is possible with a simple local configuration in systemd-networkd