[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Herman Bos hbos at osso.nl
Mon Jan 29 11:12:23 CET 2018

On 26 January 2018 at 12:12, Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com> wrote:

> I have talked with my network engineer,
>
> he's only see 2 possibility:
>

> 1 use floating-ip/nat 1:1 on compute node and translate to vm private
> address
> (so external router see mac-adress of compute node for the floating ip)
>
> or
>
> if vm have public ip directly, a vxlan need to be done between the compute
> node and the external router(so the router see the vm mac address directly).
> This can be done with a physical router (if it support vxlan), or another
> proxmox "network" node gateway (with a default gateway to external router)

Hi Alexandre,

I would avoid the floating-ip/nat 1:1 stuff as the plague.

We also did some research on the same thing your trying to do I think.
Since your are also working with cumulus (IIRC you referred to it).

We didn't implement it, but if you are interested, we could sync
and see if we can help each other. I looks as a pretty good way to go
forward.

*for public ipv4 ip space:*

Use bgp on the pve hosts and use redistribute neighbor.
https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Redistribute+Neighbor
https://cumulusnetworks.com/blog/introducing-rdnbr/

*for private networks:*

the bgp evpn stuff seems the most easy to do and from what I understand
what you are working on as well.
https://vincent.bernat.im/en/blog/2017-vxlan-bgp-evpn

I would expect that to just work. From the mail discussion there
still seems to be some issue. What is the core issue? its unclear to me
from the discussion.

kind regards,

Herman