[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Jan 30 00:02:55 CET 2018

>>Looks we simply need a flexible plugin architecture ...

I think, first, we can try to implement only the virtual network, without focus on external gateway.

I'm seeing 2 good candidate:

for linux bridge : vxlan ebgp-vpn
for ovs : ovn network (http://openvswitch.org/support/slides/OVN_LinuxCon_Toronto.pdf)

Both have almost the same architecture.

-a distributed controlplane controller. (vxlan ebgp: a routing daemon like frr/quagga, ovn : ovn controller).
 It can be deployed on all proxmox nodes

-a distributed "anycast" local router
 -vm can used them as gateway. we can implement dhcp,dns,cloudinit.
 -we can get ip/mac from control plane. (could be used to add auto ipfiltering on vm firewall for example, maybe other stuff)

So

1) implement the "network" create (create bridge/ovs, configure the controllers)
2) configure the local router and services

When this is implemented, we could focus on external network access.

- ovn need a gateway node
- linux evpn-bgp can peer with external router if bgp is supported,
  or use 1 gateway node with a simple default gw.(+ a backup gateway node)

then implement s-nat and floating ip as option if user want them.

and finally (next year ;) maybe other stuff like loadbalancing as a service, vpn as a service,

what do you think about this ?